This is a really refreshing and colorful snack on a warm day. Adapted from the beet hummus recipe on the CUESA website.
• red beets, 0.5 pound
• tahini, 0.25 cup
• fresh goat cheese, 0.25 cup
• lemon zest, 0.5 teaspoon, freshly grated
• lemon, 1 whole, freshly squeezed
• garlic, 1 clove
• kosher salt, 0.75 teaspoon
• extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons
• aluminum foil
• food processor
• microplane zester
1 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2 Wash the beets and season with kosher salt, then wrap in aluminum foil and roast in the oven 1½ to 2 hours.
3 Peel the beets and cut into small pieces. Place them in a food processor with the tahini, goat cheese, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth.
4 Slowly add the olive oil and mix until absorbed.